Five unidentified Confederate soldiers.
Arkansas Confederate Home Records
The Arkansas Confederate Home was established in 1890 the Ex-Confederate Association of Arkansas to care for the needs of indigent Confederate soldiers and their widows. On December 1, 1890 they opened a nursing home in a remodeled residence near Sweet Home, south of Little Rock, on 60 acres of land purchased by the association. When the Arkansas Legislature established a $10,000 annual appropriation for the upkeep of the home in 1891, the Association deeded the property to the State. A new building was constructed in 1892 and by 1915 the institution housed 130 inmates. But in the following years the occupancy declined. In 1955 a new smaller Confederate Home was built on the grounds of the Schools for the Deaf and Blind in Little Rock. In 1961 with only eight residents remaining, the Legislature voted to close the Home and transfer the remaining patients to nursing homes. The Home was finally closed in 1963 and the building use transferred to the Blind and Deaf School.
Photocopies of Confederate Home records can be requested by filling out our Military Photocopy Order Form, then mailing it and a check for the photocopy fee to: Arkansas History Commission, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201.