Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do you conduct research for the public?
    No. The Arkansas History Commission is intended as a place for individuals to engage in research. Our staff does not undertake research requests.
  2. Do you have birth and death records?
    No. The state of Arkansas began keeping birth and death records in 1914. To get a copy of a birth or death certificate contact the Arkansas Department of Health, Division of Vital Records, at (501)661-2336.
  3. Do you have a statewide marriage index?
    No. Marriage records are kept by the county and must be researched county by county. Many of these records are available on microfilm in the Research Room of the Arkansas History Commission.
  4. Do you have Civil War Union pension records?
    No. For these records and other federal records that have not been microfilmed, write to: General Reference Branch (NNRG-P), National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.
  5. Do you have Indian Records?
    The Arkansas History Commission has general information on American Indians in the south and southeast United States.
  6. Do you have state census records?
    In 1823 and 1829 sheriffs' censuses were taken of Arkansas Territory. However, they do not include all of the territory.
  7. What happened to the 1890 census of the United States?
    Most of the 1890 census was destroyed by fire in 1921. Of the little that remains, none is from Arkansas.
  8. Do you accept donations of materials?
    Yes. We accept materials related to Arkansas and its people, as donations or as loans for copying.